Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Practice Tip "An Interesting Statistic and Unrealistic Goals"

"A student of mine told me that it takes 10,000 hours of practicing a new skill to become a master over it. It’s students that understand this that are aware of the importance of practice, whereas the occasional student expects their teacher to make them good players without much effort on their part." Quoted by Leah Coutts.

  • If you put in 2 hours a day, you'll need 13.7 years to be an expert.
  • If you put in 1 hour a day, you'll need 27.4 years to be an expert.
  • If you put in half an hour a day, you'll need 54.8 years to be an expert.

Sound familiar & interesting? Please go on to read her full article "An Interesting Statistic and Unrealistic Goals"

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dennis,
    Which electone book do you use for your students. I need some electone books recommendation as my fingers are stiff again after not playing for 20 years. I think I was in grade 6 or 7 last time I played. I might have to start with beginner again to get my fingers to get used to play again.
    Thanks,
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tia,
    I suggest you start off with gr.9-8 1st. You may order the book directly from Japan Yamaha, the URL: http://electone.jp/score/
    You may try using Google Language Tools to translate the web page.
    And happy practice.
    Dennis.

    ReplyDelete